Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Superwoman rejoins Superman.

Today, Dana Reeve, widow of Christopher Reeve, died after a long fight with lung cancer. Dana Reeve had never smoked a single cigarette in her life, so her lung cancer was NOT caused by smoking.

In fact, she was a remarkable woman. After her husband was paralyzed following an equestrian accident, she worked very hard with him to raise awareness of paralysis, spinal cord injuries, and worked to promote stem cell research. He died about a year ago, and not long after that she was diagnosed with cancer. After her husband's experience being in the very public limelight, she could have kept her disease secret, but she chose not to. One reason why, she said, was to point out that anyone can be victimized by lung cancer. Smoking makes it much more likely, but in fact, nonsmokers can still suffer from this disease. As a matter of fact, a friend of ours where we live recently had lung cancer surgery. Like Reeve, she was also a non-smoker. Unlike Reeve, she has fortunately recovered fully.

Dana Reeve bore her burden with quiet dignity, both during the time when her husband's condition was the focus of attention, and this past year when her own condition was.

I do, in fact believe in an afterlife. And I believe that right now, Dana and Christopher are reunited, neither of them having to worry any more about hospitals, medical restraints or publicity.

3 comments:

Karen said...

This is what I posted over on Mind Kibble, it fits here as well...

I'm devastated... :(

She went through so much with Christopher =sigh= at least now their pain is gone as they are together in heaven for eternity {that's a ♥true love story♥}

btw, I like how you worded it: "Superwoman rejoins Superman"

Karen said...

OOPS, forgot to mention, I've added you to my blogroll. :o)

Karen said...

Thanks for the message over at Mind Kibble about adding my link. I see your added Mind Kibble & you'll find my blog by clicking my name which will take you to Namaste'. Thanks!! :o)